Benefits of Molecular Hydrogen in Water
What if there was a single natural way to reduce pain and inflammation? To improve your energy, cognitive function, exercise performance and recovery? To neutralize harmful free radicals and support your body’s enzyme and antioxidant production? And to also hydrate your cells plus generally support your overall health and wellness? Scientists have discovered that H2 water – molecular hydrogen or diatomic hydrogen water – has all of these properties and more. H2 has become a major area of scientific research.
The Healing Property in Healing Waters.
Around the world there are well-known natural water sources or springs that offer healing or curative properties. Scientists have recently found H2 in samples analyzed from Nordenau (Germany), Tlacote (Mexico) and Hita Tenryosui, Japan1-3. The existence of H2 in these springs (and others) could be a result of water reacting with alkali-earth metals, or from molecular hydrogen gas-producing bacteria and algae4. Regardless, the available science regarding H2 and its benefits seems to explain their healing properties.
What is Molecular Hydrogen?
Hydrogen is the lightest and simplest element appearing first on the Periodic Table of Elements. Molecular hydrogen is also the smallest molecule consisting of just one electron and one proton. Because of its tiny size, it is able to permeate even sub-cellular structures such as the mitochondria making it extremely bioavailable. It even crosses the blood-brain barrier. It is colorless, odorless, non-metallic, non-toxic and tasteless.
Molecular Hydrogen Research.
The body of science regarding health benefits of H2 has advanced rapidly in recent years thanks to the studies done by research scientists around the globe. Over 600 peer-reviewed articles have been published on the impact of H2 on humans, animals, and individual cells. It shows that H2 regulates over 200 biomolecules and appears to provide benefit in 166 health conditions and disease models, affecting virtually every organ in the human body. H2 operates on human metabolism in three primary areas:
• H2 rapidly and easily converts toxic free (hydroxyl OH-) radicals to water (H2 + 2 OH – > 2 H2O);
• H2 maintains antioxidant homeostasis. In other words, the body’s own antioxidants are leveraged and maintained; and
• H2 supports cell signaling, cell metabolism, and gene expression. This impacts inflammation, obesity, and aging mechanisms.
Molecular Hydrogen is Safe And Natural.
H2 is not foreign to the body like a pharmaceutical drug. Your body produces small amounts of H2 gas from the bacteria in your digestive tract as it digests vegetable fibers, which diffuse into the bloodstream. Research shows that delivering H2 in higher concentrations than your body can produce is much more effective. In fact, drinking water infused with H2 was used in most of the studies and is the most effective way to deliver its powerful benefits. H2 science is moving quickly beyond theory to practical applications. H2 ionizers and generators allow medical professionals and consumers to leverage the health benefits of H2.
“The effects have been reported in essentially all organs covering 31 disease categories that can be subdivided into 166 disease models, human diseases, treatment-associated pathologies, and pathophysiological conditions of plants with a predominance of oxidative stress-mediated diseases and inflammatory diseases.” Medical Gas Research 2015; 5:12
Benefits of Molecular Hydrogen.
“It is not an overestimate to say that hydrogen water's' impact on therapeutic and preventative medicine could be enormous in the future.”
Free Radical Research 2010
Why H2 is a Superlative Antioxidant.
Chronic oxidative stress has been identified as one of the major causes of aging and modern chronic diseases. Everyone knows that there are many antioxidants available. However, they have shown only limited success in therapeutic trials. H2 has some distinct advantages, causing researchers to propose it as a NOVEL antioxidant with superior therapeutic and preventive applications.
• H2 is the smallest molecule. Other antioxidants such as Vitamin C or Vitamin E are very large by comparison. They must also be digested, absorbed, transported and finally taken up by the cells. H2 penetrates the stomach lining quickly and acts inside the cells immediately. It’s able to get into every part of the cell more quickly protecting DNA, RNA, and proteins against damaging oxidative stress.
• Each molecule of H2 neutralizes two free radicals. It easily separates into two slightly charged atoms that neutralize the free radicals created from our daily oxidative stress. In the process, it creates water thus hydrating the cells.
• H2 is selective and targets only “bad” free radicals. Oxygen radicals are extremely damaging. However, your body also produces “good” free radicals, which serve useful purposes. Other antioxidants only partially neutralize radicals, both the good and bad ones. Worse, these antioxidants can then become free radicals themselves once they’ve done their job. H2 selectively goes after only the bad radicals and unlike other antioxidants, neutralizes them completely.
The Best Anti-Aging Supplement?
Our modern lifestyle has greatly increased the oxidative stress on our body, leading to alarmingly increased rates of chronic disease and poor health. As a culture, we are out of balance and aging and we lack something to naturally and universally address the decline that comes with aging. The science is clear: H2 water is a powerful and effective foundation for better health, wellness, and slowing the aging process.
• H2 reduces inflammation and pain. As we age, we ache more. For inflammation, H2 has been shown to be a powerful anti-inflammatory. It is also can potentially modify the switched on genes that create a constant state inflammation.
• H2 supports optimal cognitive function. The brain is 2-4% of your body’s weight but consumes 20-40% of the oxygen you breathe. Since 2-5% of the oxygen you breathe turns into free radicals, your brain is highly susceptible to oxidative stress damage. H2 neutralizes excess free radicals that occur in the brain.
• H2 promotes cellular health. Research shows H2 alters cell signaling, cell metabolism, and gene expression. This may explain its anti-inflammatory, anti-allergic, and anti-apoptotic (or anti-cell death) effects.
• H2 activates production of your own antioxidant levels. H2 triggers activation of antioxidant enzymes in the body (e.g., glutathione peroxidase, super-oxide dismutase, catalase, etc.) and/or proteins that protect the cell. Each one of these enzymes takes care of different kinds of free radicals, and they work together to keep the cells healthy.
Exerciser? Athlete? H2 is Your Secret Weapon.
Athletes and people who exercise experience more oxidative stress than sedentary individuals. They are also more vulnerable to the effects of chronic dehydration.
• H2 helps Improve Energy Levels. Adenosine Triphosphate (ATP) is the fuel that powers your cells during physical activity. Research shows H2 increases ATP production, helping you maintain high energy and better performance.
• H2 Improves Performance and Recovery Time. When you exercise, your lactic acid increases, leading to fatigue, muscle damage, decreased endurance, reduced performance, and poor results. Peer-reviewed research on athletes shows that H2 decreases lactic acid levels leading to better performance and faster recovery.
• H2 Reduces Oxidative Stress. When we exercise we use more oxygen generating more damaging oxygen radicals leading to increased oxidative stress. H2 easily enters sub-cellular compartments helping to protect them from damaging cytotoxic oxygen radicals.
• H2 Improves Your Hydration. When H2 molecules combine with and neutralize damaging oxygen radicals, they are transformed into water (H2O) – increasing your cellular hydration. H2 infused alkaline water is also better absorbed by the body than regular tap water.
To summarize, whether at work or play, old or young, healthy or unhealthy, H2 offers everyone a wide range of powerful benefits. Most supplements have one mechanism of action; H2 water (and H2 tablets) offers many. It has a very solid and growing body of science to back up its therapeutic benefits. So if you’re interested in optimizing your health and well-being, enjoying more energy and better mental clarity and improving your athletic performance, then what are you waiting for? Give your body the ability to thrive naturally. Join the H2 revolution. Do what got results in the research and drink H2 infused water. H2 infused UltraWater from AlkaViva is the perfect, easy and convenient way to get the cleanest and healthiest hydrogen-rich water.
Learn More about the different types of products that produce molecular hydrogen (H2) enriched water.
1. ZHANG, J. Y., LIU, C., ZHOU, L., QU, K., WANG, R. T., TAI, M. H., LEI, J. C. W. L., WU, Q. F. & WANG, Z. X. (2012). A Review of Hydrogen as a New Medical Therapy. Hepato-Gastroenterology 59, 1026-1032.
2. SHIRAHATA, S. A. N. E. T. A. K. A. (2002). Reduced water for prevention of diseases. Animal Cell Technology: Basic and Applied Aspects 12, 25-30.
3. SHIRAHATA, S., HAMASAKI, T. & TERUYA, K. (2012). Advanced research on the health benefit of reduced water. Trends in Food Science & Technology 23, 124-131.
4. CONRAD, R., ARAGNO, M. & SEILER, W. (1983). Production and consumption of hydrogen in a eutrophic lake. Applied and Environmental Microbiology45,502-10